Dark Armed Dragon Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What Got You Into Yugioh?

+3
Noti
kiryu111
Loto Drandel
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What Got You Into Yugioh? Empty What Got You Into Yugioh? Tue May 11, 2010 7:34 pm

Loto Drandel

Loto Drandel
Adminstrator
Adminstrator

You know how everyone has their own story as to how they got into Yu-Gi-Oh? Well, I figured since I had some downtime, I'd take some time to tell you how i got into yugioh...

I first heard about yugioh from TV around 2000-2001 during my seventh grade year in Junior High School in Marysville, KS...during this time, I had played Pokemon and DragonballZ card games (why pokemon? i don't know...just needed something to do perhaps XD) I was around 14 years old when I acquire my first yu-gi-oh card that i have kept to this very day (Blue-Eyes White Dragon) and I thought to myself "Hey...if I like card games so much and since everyone seems to be into yugioh, why not me?" So I decided that I would save up my allowance each week for Yu-Gi-Oh cards...even though I had fallen behind in collecting (I think it was up to Dark Beginning 2 or Dark Revelations 1), I managed to gain some good cards from starter decks and many of my friends were kind enough to trade for cards...my first card trade was b/w me and a friend of mine who is no longer into yugioh...he traded me a blue-eyes white dragon for my Sanga of the Thunder...that was my second blue-eyes...as time wore on and as i got older, i became fascinated by the game itself. I always wondered what a duel looked like. However, my friends were only collectors, so i had to spend time watching yugioh episodes from the 4th series of the original yugioh on up to the final season of it to get the hang of the dueling process...i got rulebook after rulebook after each update...by the time I turned 15, my collection had gone from small to a good size (3 big binders (1 for monsters, 1 for spells, and 1 for traps)). Along the way, i picked up some duels for training and even did Ante Duels (Duels where you put cards up for grabs and winner takes all) I acquired my 3rd blue-eyes with that tactic, and even gained some cards that i currently use to this day (Mirror Force, Swords of Revealing Light, etc.) I eventually became what my family called "obsessed with yugioh" because all i talked about was yugioh and how i wanted to be the best...i had a hard time getting to Wal-Mart to buy cards every week, considering i needed my mom or dad to bring me there until i got my own vehicle. Yu-Gi-Oh had become a major part of my life...

What really got me into the game was my first duel. I got schooled easily by one of my classmates who had been dueling for years. That loss lit a fire in me and provided me the motivation and one goal: Duel against anyone and everyone who is into yugioh and dueling. I wanted to prove that even a newbie duelist can take out experienced duelists with enough effort. I picked up on the rules quickly and adapted to the Ban List that updated every 6 months. I even participated in some local tourneys. A close friend of mine had me take his place in a tournament back home and I wound up winning the tourney (even though i think it was a fluke...I learned 2 things from that tournament:
1. never give in, even if the odds are stacked...and
2. believe in your skills and yourself and you will go far in the world of dueling

After that tournament I participated in numerous duels and tournaments to sharpen my skills as a duelist...I improved very quickly, up to the point where i challenged my friend who cleaned my clock and giving him a major run for his money before i finally lost. I kept at it, making decks and working on strategies for 'em...my most successful deck from then was probably a mix of drags and spellcasters together running Blue-Eyes Ultimate with Dark Paladin...as time passed, my collection grew to the point that I could not hold them in a normal bookbag XD (yeah, i used up all my allowance every week on cards Very Happy but it's fun)

I eventually stopped dueling when i turned 17 at the behest of my family to focus on school, but i kept collecting to honor my attachment to yugioh...when i graduated high school, i tried to pick back up where i left off, but once again was shot down by my family saying it's a kids game...so after so much time arguing, they agreed to just let me collect yugioh cards as long as i didn't go to tournaments...I was happy that i got to collect, but i just didn't feel the same without dueling in my life...don't get me wrong, school is important...however, school to me was lame...i got bored easily, topics go at a slow pace when i like it at a fast pace...

When i moved down here to Birmingham, AL, i met 2 classmates and a few residents who were into yugioh, so after my parents left for Kansas, I secretly picked back up the pieces, bringing all of my Yugioh cards with me to Birmingham, and dueling all of those into yugioh...I won some and I lost some...however, it felt great just to finally do what I had wanted to do for so long...living my passion for yugioh by dueling AND collecting. I even had more resources to gain more cards. At first, i didn't know how to get to those places, but finally got the hang of the transportation system, and it was no problem from there. Last year, I was known for having the biggest Yugioh collection of all my friends: 9 binders full (3 for monsters, 1 for normal and continuous spells, 1 for equip, field, quickplay, and ritual spells, 2 for normal traps, 1 for continuous and counter traps, and one for forbidden and special cards) Now, my friends and others into yugioh come to me for help for yugioh and trading cards...reliving my passion for yugioh also helped me do well in classes b/c i didn't have that empty feeling...I never felt so happy as I did when i got back into it...

When it all comes down to it, I feel that what inspired me to get into yugioh is how the game was made and how creative you can be with making decks, strategies, etc. What really got me further into it was the fact that there were millions of people who must be good at dueling and I hoped that someday, i'll be just as good as them...now that i am a part of Dark Armed Dragon Academy, i feel i can make the blazing passion burn brighter than ever by dueling those from all over the world thru KCVDS...

I have had great experiences with Yugioh, making new friends, meeting new people, and even learning more about myself...I really hope that I can do even better in the future (become part of Obelisk Blue or Ra Yellow, or even become like my friend Kiryu111: King of Games...even though i'd have to topple him first and earn that title thru persistence, resilience, victories, and accepting losses...taking all of that in stride of the ultimate goal of becoming the KoG is what is, what has been, and what will always be pushing me farther and making me claw further up that steep mountain (dueling others) until i stand at the top (earn the title of KoG)

well that's about enough of my experiences and what got me into yugioh...hope you didn't get bored of this article and hope to get some opinions Very Happy

Peace out

2What Got You Into Yugioh? Empty Re: What Got You Into Yugioh? Tue May 11, 2010 7:53 pm

kiryu111

kiryu111
Adminstrator
Adminstrator

Nice thing u have written. i totally know ur story, i have pretty simmilar, but most of DAD already knows it so i wont repeat myself for 100th time xD

3What Got You Into Yugioh? Empty Re: What Got You Into Yugioh? Tue May 11, 2010 8:46 pm

Noti

Noti
Level 1 Slifer
Level 1 Slifer

i was bored and hadn't got anything to do so i started watching and then playing yu-gi-oh ! simple as that

4What Got You Into Yugioh? Empty Re: What Got You Into Yugioh? Tue May 11, 2010 11:05 pm

SpiTFire96

SpiTFire96
Adminstrator
Adminstrator

Yea i think everyone knows most of the dueling stories.

Anyway after a while of reading i finally got to the end of it. U are extremly determined i will give u that and i used to do wager duels for rare cards too, thats how i built a collection.... and giving a 5 year old fake god card for all original exodia pieces [LOB Ultra rare] XD but lets not go into that.

Anyway i love the article, maybe some bits could have been compressed but 9/10 overall

5What Got You Into Yugioh? Empty Re: What Got You Into Yugioh? Wed May 12, 2010 7:49 am

dew

dew
Level 1 Ra
Level 1 Ra

Wazz up yes nice artical man 10/10.Yea might tell ya alittle about my story and how i got into yugioh.About 2001 me and a mate had just finished work and we had just cracked a beer open and the t.v was going and some monsters were on there and it was Kaiba dueling some computer and he had just wasted the blue eyes ultimate dragon with obalisk and we where thinking wow this is cool so from then on we would watch it every day after work.Not realising it was a real card game that u could buy cards for untill i saw them at a video shop and brought 2 starter decks (kaiba and yugi) and beacuse we both wanted the yugi deck we desided to settle it on ps2 game tekken tag in which i lost tho and then we had our first duel.

From that day on we used to take our decks 2 work and duel at smoko times and after work.It must off looked funny 2 seeing 2 22yr old males playing a kidz game all the time but from playing at work we got 2 other guys hooked on it to.By then my girlfriend (wife now)was getting a bit ticked of with me because we werent aloud to go any were at 4pm Monday 2 Friday because that was when yugioh was on t.v. and i had 2 record every episode on video takeing out the adds.

When boster packs come out that opened up a hole new ball game , i used 2 stell $50 out of my own bank account to buy cards every week but my mates were spending at least $100 to $200 a week just on cards.There was a group of 4 of us that every saturday nite we used to duel and also drinking duels 2.For every 4000lp that was the same as drinking 1 330ml bottle of beer but we dident stop dueling we just carred on untill some 1 run out of cards so if ya had a bad feild u could be skulling a bottle every 5min and after an hour play yea u were pritty hammered.

On my wedding day in which i got married at 6pm me and my best man dueled 4 at least 4hrs while every 1 eles was running around and organising things and heres me and him siting down watching lol.In 2005 i went into my 1st and only tournament and got into top 8 out off 100 odd people but got my butt kicked by a 16yr old girl who went on winning the tournament which dident feel so bad then.I stoped dueling and buying cards in 2007 as my mates had moved on and had no 1 to duel untill i found kcvds 1.14 last year and it has brought me back to were i was 3yrs ago dueling all the time.My wife now is getting ticked off with again cause im allways on the computer dueling our looking at forums so now i have to wait till she goes 2 bed so i can get on lol.From dueling online to my son has started watching me so now im teaching him how to play with the real cards.

yea so that some of my storys with yugioh hope i dident bore u.Kea Kaha

6What Got You Into Yugioh? Empty Re: What Got You Into Yugioh? Wed May 12, 2010 10:05 am

BM Joker

BM Joker
Level 1 Obelisk
Level 1 Obelisk

i was bored and bought randomly some yugioh cards T_T thats my story...

7What Got You Into Yugioh? Empty Re: What Got You Into Yugioh? Wed May 12, 2010 10:22 am

Anonymous

since my bro played ygo i just found it intresting and followed the anime series. thats all 'bout it

8What Got You Into Yugioh? Empty Re: What Got You Into Yugioh? Wed May 12, 2010 11:25 am

Chronicler200

Chronicler200
Level 1 Slifer
Level 1 Slifer

I had played and seen a few episodes in the past of the first Yu-gi-oh episodes that had come out. Then I had still liked Yami as a character and my only card of the series at that time was a Blue Eyes White Dragon which I later lost and lost interest in it. Recently a friend of mine got into it and was watching the abridged series. I checked out the regular series first and began to remember most of them as it went on. Then eventually went to watch Yu-gi-oh 5Ds and LK's Yu-gi-oh abridged series.

http://www.safegaurd.deviantart.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum