Dark Armed Dragon Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The "Strengths" of Certain Cards

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The "Strengths" of Certain Cards Empty The "Strengths" of Certain Cards Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:30 pm

Loto Drandel

Loto Drandel
Adminstrator
Adminstrator

There are numerous cards that have what are called "strengths" in their effects...some ranging from cards that cannot be destroyed by battle or by effects, cards that are unaffected by spells or traps, or cards that gain strength for every certain card on the field...even though they can be considered "strengths" they are also weaknesses in their own ways...i will discuss certain cards and the weaknesses that they hold in their effects.

First up is a well known dragon that is unable to be killed by battle with monsters of certain attributes

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This dragon as all of those who have seen it know that it is nearly indestructible in a fight...being able to fusion summon it by using ANY 5 dragons makes it even better for those who have dragons that are not of any use at the moment. The effect that is considered it's strength is this:

This card takes no battle damage and cannot be destroyed by battle with monsters of the Earth, Fire, Water, Wind, and Dark attributes.

Some of you may wonder, so how is it a weakness? Well here is a major weakness to that effect...

Even though it cannot be destroyed by battle with any of those attributed monsters, the dragon is still susceptible to effects. For example, if Exploder Dragon (effect dragon, Earth Attribute) were to attack this card, even though Exploder would die, the effect of Exploder would take Five-Headed down with it b/c of its effect...the plus side of Exploder dragon is that when it attacks, any battle damage becomes 0. So you will have gotten rid of the Five Headed AND kept your life points safe. Another example could be using a spell card that could put Five Headed in defense position, and then attack with a monster that has the ability to destroy a defense position by its effect, such as drillroid or ninja grandmaster sasuke. The last example I will give is this. Since Light is not mentioned in Five-Headed Dragon's effect, Light monsters are the only monsters that can take it down in battle. So some would probably ask "What kind of monsters would have that much attack or even be able to go head-to-head with it?" Some would say "Dragon Master Knight is too difficult to bring out." or "Five Headed is too strong for any Light monster." and would more than likely go on the defensive. However, there are ways to get around Five-Headed Dragon's attack strength or defense strength, depending on how its positioned (most likely in attack). The best way (usually) is having a Light monster attack while the controller has Honest in his hand to send to the graveyard. Sending Honest to the graveyard would give the Light monster 5000 more attack or however much attack the Five-Headed Dragon has, so Five-Headed would fall in battle (provided the controller of it has no defenses against the attack). So overall, even though Five Headed is a very powerful dragon, it is nowhere near invincible...

The next card on the list for me to talk about is one that cannot be specifically targeted by monster effects that target 1 card.

This spellcaster is very interesting in its own way. This card is unable to be targeted by monster card effects that specifically target 1 card, such as Man-Eater Bug, Ryko, Newdoria, Neo-Spacian Grand Mole, GB Murmillo, etc. The downfall of this effect is that it is susceptible to effects that do NOT specifically target 1 card. For example, Penguin Soldier's effect is to return 2 monsters on the field to the owners' hands. Since it is targeting more than 1 card, this magician cannot apply its effect and Penguin Soldier can send it and another monster back, even itself. Another to take in account is Black Rose Dragon. If Black Rose Dragon were to remove a plant from play to target this magician, it would be negated. However, Black Rose Dragon's first effect cannot be negated by this card. When it is Synchro Summoned, the controller can choose to send it to the graveyard to nuke the field (destroy all cards on the field). Since it targets all cards, the magician cannot apply its effect and all cards are destroyed (unless the controller of the magician has a card that can stop the effect, such as Starlight Road).

The next card I will discuss is a monster that is unaffected by spells

This dragon is used quite a bit in some decks, whether it is in dragon-based decks (which i use it in) or decks that base around a certain strategy. This dragon is able to protect itself from spells that can harm it; also, one of the best parts that i found with it is that it cannot be affected by spells that prevent it from attacking, mainly being Swords of Revealing Light...so some of you might be wondering "so how is its effect bad?". One reason that it can be harmful to Horus is that it can't gain any type of help from spells that could boost its attack or defense or keep it from being destroyed. So, although being unaffected by spells is a very good thing, it can be a bad thing as well...however, the user can get around that effect by destroying a monster by battle and then bringing out Horus LV8 and be able to pick what spells to negate, which pretty much makes it a dream come true for the controller and a living nightmare for the opponent (as long as LV8 would be on the field)

Next up is a warrior that is unaffected by traps

This hero is a very versatile card. Being able to attack without fear of trap cards makes him even more dangerous than most of the heroes he fights alongside. However, his effect has a downfall as well...even though it is unnafected by traps, such as Mirror Force, Dimensional Prison, or even Torrential Tribute, some cards can negate its effect, one of them being an effect monster itself (Effect Veiler). So the player that would be facing against this hero could discard Veiler and choose Wildheart to have its effect negated until the End Phase, allowing the player to be able to eliminate Wildheart by using traps...however, some smart players could take this in stride. Since Veiler has to use its effect during the opponent's Main Phase, and since it negates effects until the End Phase, the one using Wildheart could just choose NOT to attack with it and just end his/her turn to give Wildheart back his effect...however, the players using Veiler could have a plan to take out Wildheart, such as by using Raigeki Break or other trap cards. So even though this card is handy for getting past harmful traps, there are still weaknesses to go with it.

The last card I will talk about is a card that gets stronger for each monster of a certain type on the controller's side of the field.

This plant is a versatile monster as well. Being able to gain 300 ATK for each plant monster the controller of this card has on his field is nice. Also, even if this card is on its own, it gets 300 ATK to give it 1900, which makes it stronger than most LV4 monsters. What makes it more difficult is that it cannot switch control...however, it does have a drawback as well. Since it has to have Plants on the field to gain power, cards that can change types (Zombie World, DNA Surgery) can keep it at 1600 and force the user to put it in defense position, since it has 2000 defense. So this card isn't always the best to use, but when meshed well in a plant deck that is prepared for situations such as that, it can be very lethal.

Hope you all found this article very informative and hopefully you all learned something good from it.

Loto Drandel

2The "Strengths" of Certain Cards Empty Re: The "Strengths" of Certain Cards Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:07 pm

Neji

Neji
Graphic Team Member
Graphic Team Member

COMMAND MAGICIAN FTW ^_^

again 10/10 man :P
lol keep it up

3The "Strengths" of Certain Cards Empty Re: The "Strengths" of Certain Cards Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:25 pm

Shadow

Shadow
Alumni
Alumni

wtf is susceptible?

anyway gj 9.5/10 coz im mean Very Happy

4The "Strengths" of Certain Cards Empty Re: The "Strengths" of Certain Cards Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:54 am

Pharaoh Atem

Pharaoh Atem
Assistant
Assistant

Very nice topic really 8.5/10
You didn't miss something but I can't give u 10 since I know all of this Smile
But It's still a good topic for novices!

5The "Strengths" of Certain Cards Empty Re: The "Strengths" of Certain Cards Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:14 am

Loto Drandel

Loto Drandel
Adminstrator
Adminstrator

Shadow wrote:wtf is susceptible?

anyway gj 9.5/10 coz im mean Very Happy

susceptible means vulnerable (aka a weakness)

keep the comments coming, since i am new to this, i can use feedback lol

6The "Strengths" of Certain Cards Empty Re: The "Strengths" of Certain Cards Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:56 pm

paladin000

paladin000
Level 1 Slifer
Level 1 Slifer

nice article bro Smile i'll admit i agree with Pharaoh Atem on that I know a lot of it, but some of it i didn't think about and i think even intermediate players might not know all of that on some level Smile 9/10

very kewl bro (+1 rep since you're teaching a lot of ppl even if you don't know it :P)

paladin

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum