Dark Armed Dragon Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Blackwing Names

+8
Shadow
SpiTFire96
pendecho
Designer Drugs
KingMP94
BERKAY
BM Joker
DanceJonDance
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Blackwing Names Empty Blackwing Names Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:11 pm

DanceJonDance

DanceJonDance
Level 1 Ra
Level 1 Ra

When Yu-Gi-Oh first came out we had access to monsters that were mainly from the anime and their names were quite simple such as Dark Magician, Blue-Eyes White Dragon, Celtic Guardian, etc. Most of the names were almost literally a description of the monster. As the game progressed we were introduced with monsters that had more complex names. Some were named after mythological creaters, some others after ancient civilizations, and so on; Blackwings--My favorite Archtype--are no different. Blackwings as most of you know are a DARK winged-beast archtype, hence the name 'Blackwings.' The monsters are humanoid birds with most of them having black plumage somewhere on their bodies, and the most interesting thing about these guys is that they are named after different types of wind-related terms.

::Blackwing - Vayu the Emblem of Honor::
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Vayu is named after after the Hindu deity Vāyu, who is the god of the wind. Vāyu was worshipped in ancient Hindu cultures as one of the great gods since he was in control of the wind, one of the four elements. My guess is that Vayu is named after this god because his effect works from the graveyard, the same way Vāyu controlled the wind from the heavens.

::Blackwing - Mistral the Silver Shield::
Mistral is named after the mistral, a strong and cold regional wind in France. The mistral has a major influence all along the Mediterranean coast of France, and often causes sudden storms in the Mediterranean between Corsica and the Balearic Islands. The wind the mistral creates can reach speeds of more than ninety kilometers an hour. Winds this strong would probably require some kind of shield to protect yourself against, and that is perhaps another reason Mistral was named the Silver Shield in addition to its 1800 defense.

::Blackwing -Gale the Whirlwind::
Gale is named after a strong wind that weather forecasters define as low as 28 knots (52 kilometers per hour) and as high as 90 knots (170 kilometers per hour). Forecasters usually issue gale warnings when winds of this strength are expected to hit a region. Gale the Whirlwind is one of the most beloved Blackwings because its effect could be devastating to opponents, much like a gale could be devastating to a town, and is perhaps the reason it was named after a gale.

::Blackwing - Bora the Spear::
Bora is named after a norther to north-easter wind which passes through Croatia, Italy, Greece, and Turkey. The name bora derives from the Greek mythological figure Boreas who was the of the four chief Anemoi. The Anemoi were wind gods in Greek mythology and Boreas was the Greek god of the cold north and bringer of winter. Boreas was described as being very strong, and a short temper to match. Boreas did not have any weapons that resembled spears so the reason Bora is also deemed the Spear is most-likely due to its piercing effect.

::Blackwing - Sirocco the Dawn & Ghibli the Searing Wind::
Sirocco & Ghibli are both basically named after the same Mediterranean wind current that comes from the Sahara and reaches hurricane speed in North Africa and Southern Europe. Sirocco is the term used in Italy while Ghibli is the term used in North Africa which comes from the Arabic word qibli. I really couldn't find any relevance between the card effects. However, in the OCG Ghibli's name is the Hot Wind which is a common feature of the Sirocco.

There are several cards I left unmentioned like Blackwing - Blizzard the Far North since it is common sense to everyone what a blizzard is, and some of the less popular Blackwings. We've come a long way from monsters with simple names to monsters whose creators dedicated time and research into naming their creations. The next time you see a monster whose name is appealing to you try doing some research on its name to see what story that monster can tell you other than its effect.

http://turboduelacademy.forumotion.com/forum.htm

2Blackwing Names Empty Re: Blackwing Names Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:34 am

BM Joker

BM Joker
Level 1 Obelisk
Level 1 Obelisk

wooooot thx,nice info.thx for the info Wink 10/10

3Blackwing Names Empty Re: Blackwing Names Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:35 am

BERKAY

Freshmen
Freshmen

Good article. Thanks for thi knowledge and mythological things. My precedence in this life duels, mythology and me. ;P + Rep Wink

4Blackwing Names Empty Re: Blackwing Names Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:42 am

Anonymous

'Cool...Where 'Ze heck you got all dis information o.o
10/11 Very Happy

5Blackwing Names Empty Re: Blackwing Names Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:32 am

KingMP94

KingMP94
Black Mamba
Black Mamba

Wow nice article DJD x] I really liked it 11/10

Cashed 100 DCs

6Blackwing Names Empty Re: Blackwing Names Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:54 am

Designer Drugs

Designer Drugs
Freshmen
Freshmen

I read it in KC,pretty interesting,thanks for posting it =)

7Blackwing Names Empty Re: Blackwing Names Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:56 am

pendecho

Level 1 Ra
Level 1 Ra

Nice article .... we learned it in school

8Blackwing Names Empty Re: Blackwing Names Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:05 am

SpiTFire96

SpiTFire96
Adminstrator
Adminstrator

Nice article i didnt know their names had such a backround

1000/1 on epicness scale

9Blackwing Names Empty Re: Blackwing Names Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:41 pm

Shadow

Shadow
Alumni
Alumni

Thats rly nice DJD 100/10.1 :P

hope to c more Very Happy

10Blackwing Names Empty Re: Blackwing Names Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:49 pm

Loto Drandel

Loto Drandel
Adminstrator
Adminstrator

WOW!!! Never knew that...awesome article: 100/1 Very Happy lol

11Blackwing Names Empty Re: Blackwing Names Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:59 pm

Ryo Bakura

Ryo Bakura
Level 1 Obelisk
Level 1 Obelisk

AWesome as always DJD, Keep up bro.

12Blackwing Names Empty Re: Blackwing Names Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:01 pm

Sparks

Sparks
Level 1 Slifer
Level 1 Slifer

very impressive there is also an interesting idea that i noticed about swords of revealing light and swords of concealing light

Swords of revealing light: represents Law, it enlightens the mind of the people to adapt peace and prevent disputes.

Swords of Concealing light: represents corruption, uses force to oppress people and making them surrender but much less effective than law.

as you can see my english is very bad, that's perhaps why i didnt made a topic so maybe next time u can make an article about these Very Happy

13Blackwing Names Empty Re: Blackwing Names Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:10 am

Neji

Neji
Graphic Team Member
Graphic Team Member

nice article man Smile i always thought some card names had a background to them Very Happy 100/10 o.O

@ sparks actually the names are a lil simple xD swords of revealing shows it and so does concealing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum